Jan 29, 2012

Trent's email 1/25/12

Dulce de leche is like... it's like a thick caramel.  About the flavor
of caramel, but not sticky... the consistency of lemon bars, more or
less.  And not sticky.  And not crummy.  But still delicious.  Yeah,
the weakness for desserts still exists.  I may or may not have bought
a giant box of chocolate covered raisins from "pricesmart"today (which
is Costco, but here).
I think it MUST be due to the laid back attitude that there's such a
high rate of inactivity.  So many times, we're like, "You PROMISED us
you'd come to church, and you weren't there!  What happened?" "Look, I
was up all night partying!  Obviously, I had to SLEEP eight hours.
How am I supposed to get to church if I go to bed at 7?" That's
basically their attitude.  It's hard to change the mindset that a lot
of people have, that Christ's just good and going to save them no
matter what they do, and because they were baptized as babies.  Wo be
unto that great and abominable thing that they talk about in the Book
of Mormon.  I'm glad you're working to reactivate people!
One thing that always bothered me about the church in Utah was that
there's always a "status." It's good to focus on those that are
struggling in the church, but I hate it that once someone is declared
äctive" we stop caring about them.  That happened a lot.  You guys
know.
Leo is still just as interested, it seems, but he's sometimes hard to
find in his house.  We'll see how things go.  We found another
interested old man who came to church, but he humiliated my comp
because he kept talking to him REALLY loudly in the middle of
sacrament meeting.  It's okay, but it was hilarious to me :)  Mayteé
and Carlos José and Anacaona are SO funny.  We talked a whole lot to
Carlos yesterday about his disbelief in the Bible, and the role the
Book of Mormon plays in our salvation.  We read the last few verses in
2 Ne 33 (look them up) and invited him to read Mosiah 3 and pray about
it, because he's so confident in prayer.  It was so fun to relate the
gospel to what he already believes, and to use the Book of Mormon to
help fulfill the gaps in his belief. I hope he prays and takes it
seriously.  I know he can get an answer, he just has to try.  Next
goal is to take Anacaona's faith in Joseph Smith and turn it into a
testimony of the Church-help her connect the dots.  It'll be hard,
because old people are difficult to persuade, but right now she has
the Joseph Smith movie, so we'll see how that goes.  Mayteé's reading
that same chapter as Carlos José.
And I should mention Adelso and Massiell!  They're good investigators,
but they're a little lazy and even though Adelso's 25 he's CONTROLLED
by his mother, who is apparently a cocaine addict.  Massiell's 12, his
sister.  But, the mom seems okay with their baptism, even though she's
not interested in listening (despite many attempts).  They just don't
come to church some mornings, but they're very interested, and they
love visiting with us.  They have a baptismal date for the 18th of
February.  We'll see how it goes.
Oh, we found out that someone who we THOUGHT was a member, just
inactive, is actually not a member.  She might be an easy baptism.
She's a cutie, and really sweet.  Fourteen, actually reminds me of
Becca.  But if Becca wore the same clothes, I'd have to duct tape her
body before she went out every day.  Anyway, it's a long and confusing
story, but her name's Lidiana and her brother's a member, and she
keeps coming to church for SOME reason.  It's fun to see her learn
more and more.
Yeah, dad's right, you DO love nursing school :)  I'm glad you're
enjoying it, and hope you're learning a lot!  It'll be good to have a
nurse one phone call away when I'm raising kids and they do crazy
things and bust their heads open.  That's a really cool thing, about
you taking the time to get to understand that guy.  Go mom :)
Ah, that CD grammy gave me for my birthday is SO good!  There's this
one song called "bless my son" that almost makes me cry every time.
Love you, mom.
Also, I trip ALL THE TIME.  It's a disaster.  I really wish I would've
learned how to walk when I learned how to walk.  oh well.  I'll get
better.  And I haven't actually fallen on the ground yet, so que lo
sea (whatever).
well, I love you all!  I sent three different letters to you this
time, so maybe you can just take the highlights from each one to put
on the blog.  That would be cool.  I love you all!  Take care!
Sincerely,
Elder Taylor!
Aye, drill.  It's interesting to see the difference between
missionaries who've been in the military and missionaries who haven't.
There's definitely a go-getter sort of drive with those military
missionaries.  Almost hardened, but definitely hard working.  Don't
worry, I'm enjoying this work a whole lot :)  I get two years of
talking to people!  And you know how social I am :)  Dulce de leche is
delicious.  We also bought crema de leche, which is possibly more
delicious.  Did you get to eat with members a lot?  We have to prepare
our own food most of the time, it's kind of a pain, and I don't want
to try something new and ruin it... I wish members cooked for us.
Maybe when the new mission president gets here.  I haven't had
mondongo (cow stomach/intestines) yet, but I want to sometime out
here.  And to my dismay, there's not very much spicy food in the DR, I
was expecting Mexico-type stuff.  Alas.  Hahahahaha, nightmares?  I
can see you waking up in a cold sweat, and telling Becca about your
horrid dream, and her laughing at you.
Ah, I'm so scared to have an angry, boring, lazy companion.  I was
definitely blessed with Elder Frometa.  We laugh every day, he helps
me learn at my own pace, and we work hard.  He's very patient.  One
thing I've learned is how important it is to REALLY listen to
people-How are you supposed to know how to help them if you don't know
the problem?  I feel like I've been progressing SO MUCH as a
missionary, and really as a human.  Sometimes I find myself wondering,
"What did my dad think the first time he was teaching a woman, and she
started breastfeeding her child right in front of them?" or "What
would my dad say to this guy swearing at us right now?" I realized
that I don't really know you half as well as I should, and it made me
sad.
But, I have picked up some of your habits.  I cross the street like a
maniac, my companion thinks I'm gonna kill myself.  I just time it
right, and pay close attention.  And I like to walk fast.  My
companion's better than me at getting along with everyone, though.
You're really good at that--just starting a conversation and making an
instant connection.  I fall short a lot of times if I don't find
something we have in common, but my companion can do it just like
you-instant friends.  He's very loved by a lot of the Dominicans.
Probably because of his sarcastic sense of humor, which you also
have.
Aye, it's so hard knowing where to teach.  I figure, if I don't feel
like we should go there, we don't.  More or less.  It's nice not
having to call all the shots, the companion really helps.
It's so funny that you don't like dealing with people.  You're so good
at it.  Sounds like a good thing, I hope you're enjoying that relaxing
time.  My companion and I were reminiscing to times when we had the
ability to kick back, watch a movie with our family, eat some popcorn,
and just relax.  No relaxing time here :)
Oh, I'm sure regalos will be necessary.  I'll let you know when I find
something good.  Do you think Becca needs more necklaces?  It's pretty
funny, almost every girl has a necklace and earrings with her name on
it, all in the same exact style.  I guess that's the trend.Thank you
for your money, I'll let you know when the time comes.  Don't worry,
there's still plenty left :)
How good that mom is enjoying working outside of the house :)  I was
afraid she'd miss her TV too much. I do have a fantastic mom, and
you're lucky too.
Well, even though you're being a slacker at work to write me an email,
I'm happy you wrote me.  Love you mucho!
Your son,
Trent
Aye, drill.  It's interesting to see the difference between
missionaries who've been in the military and missionaries who haven't.
There's definitely a go-getter sort of drive with those military
missionaries.  Almost hardened, but definitely hard working.  Don't
worry, I'm enjoying this work a whole lot :)  I get two years of
talking to people!  And you know how social I am :)  Dulce de leche is
delicious.  We also bought crema de leche, which is possibly more
delicious.  Did you get to eat with members a lot?  We have to prepare
our own food most of the time, it's kind of a pain, and I don't want
to try something new and ruin it... I wish members cooked for us.
maybe when the new mission president gets here.  I haven't had
mondongo (cow stomach/intestines) yet, but I want to sometime out
here.  And to my dismay, there's not very much spicy food in the DR, I
was expecting Mexico-type stuff.  Alas.  Hahahahaha, nightmares?  I
can see you waking up in a cold sweat, and telling Becca about your
horrid dream, and her laughing at you.
Ah, I'm so scared to have an angry, boring, lazy companion.  I was
definitely blessed with Elder Frometa.  We laugh every day, he helps
me learn at my own pace, and we work hard.  He's very patient.  One
thing I've learned is how important it is to REALLY listen to
people-How are you supposed to know how to help them if you don't know
the problem?  I feel like I've been progressing SO MUCH as a
missionary, and really as a human.  Sometimes I find myself wondering,
"What did my dad think the first time he was teaching a woman, and she
started breastfeeding her child right in front of them?" or "What
would my dad say to this guy swearing at us right now?" I realized
that I don't really know you half as well as I should, and it made me
sad.
But, I have picked up some of your habits.  I cross the street like a
maniac, my companion thinks I'm gonna kill myself.  I just time it
right, and pay close attention.  And I like to walk fast.  My
companion's better than me at getting along with everyone, though.
You're really good at that--just starting a conversation and making an
instant connection.  I fall short a lot of times if I don't find
something we have in common, but my companion can do it just like
you-instant friends.  He's very loved by a lot of the Dominicans.
Probably because of his sarcsastic sense of humor, which you also
have.
Aye, it's so hard knowing where to teach.  I figure, if I don't feel
like we should go there, we don't.  More or less.  It's nice not
having to call all the shots, the companion really helps.
It's so funny that you don't like dealing with people.  You're so good
at it.  Sounds like a good thing, I hope you're enjoying that relaxing
time.  My companion and I were reminescing to times when we had the
ability to kick back, watch a movie with our family, eat some popcorn,
and just relax.  No relaxing time here :)
Oh, I'm sure regalos will be necessary.  I'll let you know when I find
something good.  Do you think Becca needs more necklaces?  It's pretty
funny, almost every girl has a necklace and earrings with her name on
it, all in the same exact style.  I guess that's the trend.Thank you
for your money, I'll let you know when the time comes.  Don't worry,
there's still plenty left :)
How good that mom is enjoying working outside of the house :)  I was
afraid she'd miss her TV too much. I do have a fantastic mom, and
you're lucky too.
Well, even though you're being a slacker at work to write me an email,
I'm happy you wrote me.  Love you mucho!
Your son,
Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment