Nov 14, 2012

Trent's email 11/7/12

Parents!
It has been a fantastic day.  Very eventful.
We went to Santiago (we get to do that once every transfer) and I went and visited the Vasquez family, who made lunch for us.  I cleaned my bathroom this morning (an area seventy is coming this week, and he might inspect the house, so we´re getting it DEEP cleaned.  Remember how I was really excited to have a big house?  I´m regretting it now), and we took off, went shopping in the city, bought some Taz hats (yeah, Tazmanian Devil) that are epic, found some sweet ties for nice and cheap, ran into some American kids doing a foreign study from some evangelical college in Omaha (one of whom was blonde with a nose ring and studying nursing, reminded me of Zoe quite a bit) which was quite fun, got in the wrong car and rode around Santiago for quite a while, getting a breezy tour of the city, ate with the family, and came home.  It was quite fun.  I am happy.
For the rest of the week, we´ve been doing SO MUCH cleaning.  SO MUCH.  You never realize how important little basic things are when you´re in America--like, the little metal cover about 10 feet above almost every stove in the states.  Here, they don´t have them, and so oil gets hot and evaporates and then recondenses ALL OVER THE HOUSE, especially on wood cabinets, and it just takes FOREVER to clean off, unless you have some good degreaser.  I´ve scrubbed so many windows and floors and cupboards this week... ugh.  I´ve decided that a big part of being an effective missionary is the efficient use of your Pday so that you have time to focus on investigators during the rest of the week.  A lot of times I let myself play too much on Pday so nothing gets done, and I make up for it during the week.  Unfortunately, this week I´ll be eating my own words because there´s been no electricity in the house all day, so I can´t wash or iron.  I´ve decided for the future to break up the house in tasks, and do a couple tasks every week in a rotated schedule for the rest of my misison.
Leadership in this country is... developing.  It´s very hard to coordinate programs and activities and efforts in the ward without the solid communication (everyone has cell phones, but hardly anyone has minutes) and understanding of leadership principles that there are in the states.  We´re trying to work closely with the branch president to help other members of the ward develop leadership skills, but it´s difficult sometimes.  I´m learning lots of humility and patience, two things of which I definitely lack.  It´s been frustrating in some aspects, but I´m becoming a better person.
We might get Senso baptized THIS week, if we can just help him get his answer.  I don´t know if he´s really willing to stop working on Sundays, so that might be impeding his spiritual sensitivity.  We´ll have to focus on that. 
Ma, thanks for always reminding me that you love me =)  Sometimes, it´s easy to think that the whole world is abandoning you while you´re on your mission.  It´s good to have some solid family support.  I´m really lucky-there are lots of missionaries who don´t come from the best family ever.  So, thanks.  Dad, you always express your love in your emails, too.  Thanks!
Yeah, missionaries can choose whatever Preparation day is best for their mission, usually whenever things are slowest.  Do you talk to the missionaries when you see them in Wal-mart?
Dad´s running errands?  That reminds me, our District President, Presidente Diaz, is one of the best leaders we have here in La Vega, and he´s flying out to Utah today.  I gave him Dad´s name and number and told him that Dad speaks Spanish.  He says he wants to go to St. George, and that he´s going to Utah and Arizona, but he didn´t tell me where specifically.  I told him that I expect him to call my dad and at least say hola. I think he might be with his wife.  They´re great people and made me some DELICIOUS banana bread when I first got to La Vega, so if you guys have time and he calls you, it´d be awesome if you´d take them out to lunch or something!  It´s kind of a long shot, but if they eat lunch with you, and then tell me about it, it´s almost like me being home for a couple hours!
I´m glad Kenji keeps you company =)  I never really cared much for animals.  I´d rather have people that can talk to me.  Did you put the cat down or something?  I haven´t heard about her in a couple weeks. 
It was GRAMMY!  I was wondering why I got a gray tshirt from LLBEAN.  Yeah, I got it right before my birthday =)  Thanks grammy! 
The carmel corn was FANTASTIC, and it was not a giant blob, although the flavor just wasn´t the same...  did you change it this year?  I wonder if it kind of got ruined in the sun or something.  But, fantastic.  Thank you!  Umm, I really would like some instant chocolate pudding mix, that stuff is great... but I think Courtney just sent me Chocolate covered Cinnamon bears.  The only candy that I kinda miss are skittles... those don´t really exist here.  Oh, and I got the pictures.  They made me so happy!  I can´t wait to go back to fish lake and just relax. I have one of Dad and one of Becca taped up above my desk.  Becca´s getting old!  Dad, next time, make sure Mom puts some pictures of HER in the package, eh? 
I´m sorry Halloween was so lame.
Dude, I´m going to be nervous all day tomorrow until the winner is announced.  Do they announce it on Wednesday or what?  Man, I SO hope Romney wins.  I would be able to walk just a little taller in this immigration desperate country... I can´t imagine being a missionary up there in New York right now.  I bet the work has completely stopped for a while, just like everything else up in that part of the world.  That´d be fun to be able to help with something so important.  But, I´m not complaining for not having passed through a deadly storm.  I thought there were only 40 dead!  100!  Wow.  That´s harsh.  I mean, 40´s still bad... but you get what I mean.  I hope it gets cleaned up soon, and that people get gas and light.  I need to remember to pray for that.
My eye´s all nice and neat now.  No one can tell that I ever cut it open.  I am so excited to be a doctor!  It´ll be fun.  It´s a bummer to hear about Becca´s knee.  I hope it gets better, or the doctor can magically fix it.  Elder Grover wants to be a physical therapist! 
AAHH!! THat´s what I miss.  Home made jam.  Any chance of me getting some of THAT in a package?  That would be awesome.
Well, I love you family.  Wouldn´t trade you for anything.  Keep up the good work this week, and don´t forget that I love you!
Yours,
Elder Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment