Jul 3, 2013

Trent's email 6/26/13


Hahaha, first, Mom, BREATHE.
Now you're in girl's camp.  You'll probably read this on Saturday night, or maybe even Sunday.  Are you okay?  I like organizing things.  I hope you had a good experience.  I hope Becca learned a lot :D  Alysa's there, too?  whoa!  Wasn't expecting that!  Good for her.  Is she 14 already?
I really love the history as well.  Thomas Jefferson has always been my favorite founding Father.  Good stuff.  I'm glad to know you ate well while you were there.  Courtney's family is experiencing lots of southern food, too, I believe, being in Texas.  I know they're hanging out with some mexicans as well, so they're eating tamales and stuff.  Aaww, I miss all American food.
Speaking of which, Latins are taught that there are only 5 continents, and they teach us that there are 7.  What is a "continent" anyway?  Are Dominicans considered Americans because they're in the American continent, or are they just Caribbean?  Some "Educated" Dominicans get mad when I tell them that I'm American because they all say that they're american too, but I don't think so.  I think they're caribbinean, or however you say caribeño in English.  Which is very different from American.
On monday I saw Haiti for the first time.  There are some missionaries in Dajabón, which is on the border, and we went to the market where the Haitians sell food and shoes and stuff, and I could see out into Haiti.  Just dirt and people and tents.  I thought the DR was underdeveloped with its beaten roads and its wood houses, but I hadn't imagined Haiti.  No wonder they all try to come over here.
Speaking of the market, do you all need Church shoes or pants or tennis shoes or anything?  It's all very cheap in the market.... You have to be careful, though.  I bought a pair of dress shoes for $4.50 to later discover that they're painted black, but really brown...
What's $4.50 anyway? 
I also found a football, some socks, two short sleeve shirts, all for about $15 total.  Its a great place.  So just let me know.
We have a big training meeting of which my companion and I are in charge.  So we're planning that.  I like organizing!  I like helping people!  It's fun stuff.  I'll let you know how it goes later.
On Saturday, we have 6 people getting baptized, but 5 of them are children from the ward, and 1 of them is our investigator.  China, we call her, but her real name is Virginia.  She's great!  She's the Branch President's Mom.  Learning lots, very excited to finally be baptized.
We're working lots with less actives.  I really like it, because most of them want to be there, but have just gotten distracted for some reason.  We have an activity tonight, another tomorrow.  This branch is so fun!
Anyway, that's about all I'm doing.  I love mission work.  I could totally do it as a full time job if I were allowed to take it a little easier, like date women and have free time to go bowling with some friends and breathe every once in awhile.  And listen to music.  Meanwhile, I'll keep working :D
Mom, do you like accounting?  How well would I do in accounting?  I like organizing, I like rules, and I like math.  Could I make it into a successful, satisfactory career?
Anyway, I love you all!  Have a great week!
Love,
Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment