Aug 7, 2013

Trent's email 7/31/13


Hey Mom!
Don´t worry, I knew that something weird must´ve happened.  I know you´ll always write me.  I was just fine.  Surprised, but no big deal.  I´m a big boy now.
Not sure how you lived without phones and internet, huh?  I know how.
Oh, how little importance those things have!  How much I´ve forgotten about them!
Did you know that my general happiness is higher than ever before in life?  I love the mission.  I´ve grown up, learned so much, and love being in the service of people in the Dominican Republic.
Mosiah 3:19-- when you are in the service of your fellow beings, you are only in the service of your God.
I feel so free.
Here, I do a whole lot of what´s really important, and a whole lot of what´s not very important.  Facebook and internet and texting and movies and stuff... it just doesn´t mean that much anymore.  I´d rather talk to my friends (these members quickly become your friends) eat with them, ask them if they´re reading their scriptures, argue about scriptural ideas with them, and pray with them.  SO IMPORTANT!  
The environment here is so beautiful!  The air, the trees, the beach, everything.  And now my house feels more like a home, after cleaning ALL DAY.  I´m just happy.  I am starting to realize how a person can always be happy no matter what they do.
Sometimes, I think life involves becoming an important person in the world, and that´s how I´ll have success.  I wonder if I could be successful and happy living in Montecristi for the rest of my life, serving in the Church, working in who knows what, and just trying to love and help the people around me?  Heaven knows this town needs help.
If you guys wanted to live here, I think we should move down here.  If not, I´ll stay in America.
I´ve learned so much about how the Spirit works,  and how most members want to be in Church, but they just have difficulties for one reason or another.  Teaching is really fun.  I haven´t exactly figured out how to get people back to Church, but I´m getting there.  You´re right, Mom, every person is different.  The worst part is that so few people do their visits... If they´d do them, lots of people would come back to Church.  
Much chocolate.  oh so much chocolate.  My whole zone has greatly benefitted from my chocolate reception.  I don´t eat as much junk as I used to.  I´m out of the habit.
You´ll alll love the souvenirs.  I have some great ideas.  You´ll see =)    I wish I could´ve been in the mountains with you all!  How cool.  The beach here makes up for it, but I just miss being with you all.  I hope they can sell the cabin.
Oh, I hope your surgery went well!  
So, I want to tell you all about my day.  After cleaning, we went to the museum in Monetcristi, it´s very small.  I learned some cool things, like the declaration of independence of Cuba was signed in this city, by a man named José Martí.  I guess this town helped with that.  Pretty cool.  Also, Christopher Colon named this city when he saw the little mountain by the beach (called the "Morro" nowdays), he said it looked like the hill where Christ got crucified. He was Spanish.  "Monte" is mountain, and "Cristy" comes from Christ.  Cool, right?  Anyway, then we got our hair cut, and I look bad, but it doesn´t matter, because I don´t have to impress any women yet.  The next haircut will be very important.  Then, we went to a meeting with the District President to help him organize his work here in the district.  He´s a great guy with a strong testimony, but he doesn´t know how things work very well, he´s kind of impulsive and not a very good planner, so President asked us to help him work through some solid plans to make the district grow (District=stake as Branch=ward).  I´m learning how to run the Church here, and speak to experienced leaders and help them work better.  Then, we went to visit Eva, a less active member whose husband was branch president many years ago, and I guess there was some scandal and she got offended and hasn´t been back for a long time.  The spirit was STRONG.  All we did was try to help her get excited to read the scriptures.  We succeeded.  It´s going to bless her life, I know it will.  She also gave us juice. Nice lady.
That´s my life!  i lvove you all.  Can´t wait to read you stories from my journal.
Love,
Elder Taylor


No comments:

Post a Comment